EUROCITIES is the network of major European cities. Founded in 1986, the network brings together the local governments of more than 144 large cities in over 39 European countries. EUROCITIES provides a platform for its member cities to share knowledge and ideas, to exchange experiences, to analyse common problems and develop innovative solutions, through a wide range of forums, working groups, projects, activities and events.
About the Role
Eurocities, the network of major European cities, is recruiting a policy advisor in the field of economic development. The candidate would ideally start in October 2021.
What You're Gonna Do
As policy advisor, you will be responsible for supporting Eurocities activities related to the economic development forum, by contributing to the organisation’s networking, advocacy and project activities with a specific focus in fields such as recovery, long-term investment, local innovation ecosystems, financing the green, digital and inclusive transition. In this role, you will :
- coordinate, support and provide content-related input to the Eurocities economic development forum
- support the working groups related to the economic development forum
- maintain an up-to-date overview of policy developments in the above-mentioned fields and contribute with expertise and strategic insights to the policy work of Eurocities
- maintain contacts with the EU institutions, with member cities, and with other stakeholders
- coordinate the preparation of relevant policy statements
- take the lead on the development and implementation of Eurocities’ advocacy strategy in these fields
- advise management on forthcoming priorities, anticipate policy challenges and opportunities and mobilise members accordingly
- organise capacity building and mutual learning events such as study visits, peer-reviews, focus groups, and develop capacity building tools such as guidelines, toolkits, etc.
- cooperate with other Eurocities forums and projects in cross-cutting areas, such as jobs and skills, digital transition, public procurement, etc.
- ensure that any potential synergies with other policy areas, projects and communications activities of Eurocities are developed through coordination with relevant colleagues
- ensure effective communication to members and more widely through the various channels available
- support Eurocities general policy and project work, as well as other activities in line with the overall objectives
- a successful track record of at least 5 years of work experience in policy advocacy at EU level and EU project implementation
- a Masters degree or equivalent in economic development, urban development, EU studies or related fields
- thorough understanding of the EU institutions, decision making processes and funding instruments
- excellent knowledge of urban policies and cities in general, including the role of cities in the EU
- excellent research and analytical skills, including the ability to collect, analyse and present information in a clear and concise way
- experience in mutual learning/policy transfer methodologies
- excellent political judgement for advocacy and lobby work
- experience in organising events and mutual learning activities
- experience in coordinating working groups
- experience in advocacy, lobby and influencing EU institutions and other relevant stakeholders
- strong organisation and coordination skills
- excellent organisational awareness
- excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- good interpersonal skills for an international environment
- a strategic liaison for a specific Eurocities community and key EU representatives
- a dynamic team player who also takes full responsibility for delivering results on own work
- agile in a changing environment with the ability to juggle competing deadlines
- a self-starter, driven by the motivation to deliver outcomes for cities and citizens
- experience of working with cities, either in a city administration or through a network
- knowledge of indicators, notably in the area of economic development
- other languages
What We Offer
- an open ended full-time position in Brussels, starting as soon as possible
- salary according to profile and experience
- Meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques
Some other benefit examples are :
- training opportunities and access to on-line trainings
- a dynamic international team
- a pleasant working environment
- flexible working and relaxed dress code
- part time teleworking.
Eurocities recognises the importance of a work life balance
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation explaining their suitability for the position, together with a CV by COB on 15 September 2021 to: Patricia de Wouters, Head of HR, at [email protected]
Please send the documents in pdf format and mention ‘policy advisor EDF’ in the subject line.
Interviews will be held remotely at the end of September 2021.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.