The Department of City Planning (DCP) is New York City’s primary land use agency and is instrumental in designing the City’s physical and socioeconomic framework. DCP’s ambition is to make all of New York a better place to live, to maintain what works and improve what doesn’t.
About the Role
The Bronx Borough Office of the Department of City Planning seeks an experienced community-based City Planner to assist in the implementation of its robust work program.
The Urban Designer will be an essential part of a collaborative team to carry out neighborhood planning initiatives throughout the Bronx including continued outreach and development of a draft plan for the Bronx Metro-North Station-Area Study as well as implementation of the plan. The ideal candidate will have strong design skills and a good grasp of land use and public policy issues of primary importance to the department, including zoning, urban design, affordable housing, and economic development. The ideal candidate will be a curious and enthusiastic learner, an artful problem-solver, a critical and engaged user of design technology, and possess a positive attitude toward interdisciplinary work and community service.
What You're Gonna Do
Under Supervision, with latitude for independent judgment, the Urban Designer will perform work including the following:
- Support neighborhood studies with graphics (maps, diagrams, plans, sections, three-dimensional models etc.) associated with plans, reports, and presentations using Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, Sketch Up and other design programs.
- Provide urban design expertise to advance the neighborhood planning process and other DCP priorities through sketching, visioning, and graphic representation of the plan principles.
- Develop, design, and execute community engagement and outreach strategies related to urban design aspects of neighborhood planning efforts
- Plan, organize, and conduct zoning, land use, and urban design studies to support borough planning
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations to support review of land use applications
- Serve as DCP liaison to a Bronx community board
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the NYC Zoning Resolution and city’s urban design and
planning trends through research and field experience
- Collaborate with the Urban Design Division and urban designers across DCP
- Perform other related tasks and projects.
Authorization to work in the United States is required for this position. NYC Department of City Planning does not provide sponsorship for international employees. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that they meet all minimum qualifying requirements for this position at the time of application.
1. A baccalaureate degree in architecture from an accredited college and one (1) year of full-time experience in planning, design, research, investigations and/or studies related to urban design development programs; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. However, a baccalaureate degree in architecture is required of all candidates. Graduate work leading to an advanced degree in architecture, urban design or city planning may be substituted for the one year of experience described above.
- Demonstrated urban design capabilities with knowledge of physical design practices including site planning and programming, building layout, zoning calculations, massing and architectural design
- Competence in free-hand sketches strongly preferred, computer-based drawings, 3D modeling, database and/or geographic information computer software. Proficiency in using tools such as: Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS and experience with tools such as SketchUp, Grasshopper, AutoCAD
- Demonstrated presentation, public speaking, and written communication skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Motivated self-starter with an ability to collaborate and communicate in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage and capacity to take initiative, and to complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Knowledge of New York City’s general urban planning, urban design, and land use issues, policies, and needs, as well as best practice examples from around the world
- Proficiency in Spanish desired.
What We Offer
Salary Range: $57,078 - $65,640
Hours / Shift: Monday – Friday (9am -5pm)
Application Deadline: Until Filled
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted through the NYC Careers / ESS Website
1. Log in to ESS.
2. Search for job ID number: 482150
3. Click on the job business title: Bronx Urban Designer
4. Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting
Non-City Employees – Please visit: https://www1.nyc.gov/jobs/ and follow the steps below:
1. Search for job ID number: 482150
2. Click on the job business title: Bronx Urban Designer
3. Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.