WRI's mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
About the Role
Cities are key in achieving a net-zero, resilient and inclusive future. They represent 80% of global GDP and contribute with almost 70% of global emissions and 75% of energy related emissions. Today, they are home for 50% of the global population and by 2050 this number will increase to 2/3. More than 2.5 billion urban dwellers will move to cities by 2050, 90% of them in Africa and Asia.
The Urban Efficiency and Climate Team (UEC) at WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities works to empower cities to take integrated climate action. We work to accelerate transformative changes for resilient, inclusive and low carbon cities that are good for the people and for the planet.
What you can expect to gain from the internship:
As Integrated Climate Action Intern you will gain in-depth knowledge in topics related to climate action planning and implementation in cities, climate mainstreaming, climate governance and stakeholder engagement for inclusive and equitable climate action in cities. Additionally, you will also develop relevant project management and administrative skills required for the implementation of technical cooperation projects.
What You're Gonna Do
Working under the supervision of UEC’s Senior Manager for Integrated Climate Action, the Integrated Climate Action, you will support the development of a new workstream within the UEC team. You will conduct relevant research on cities’ experience in integrating climate action across different sectors and departments as well as the enablers and challenges for coordinated climate action across levels of government.
Your internship supervisor will be the Administrator Coordinator for the Cities Program.
What you will do:
Research & Communication (50%)
- Review selected cities’ Climate Action Plans to identify best practices, challenges and opportunities for integrated climate action
- Compile a database of current and past WRI projects and knowledge products that support climate action in cities
- Support content production of communication (blog articles, podcasts, social media) and knowledge products related to integrated climate action in cities (technical notes, issue briefs, working papers)
- Support internal and external stakeholder mapping and mobilisation, including the development of presentations and discussion papers.
Project Coordination (50%)
- Provide day-to-day support in liaising with WRI Programs and International Offices such as scheduling meetings, drafting agendas and developing meetings’ memos
- Provide administrative support to the WRI Integrated Climate Action in Cities Working Group
- Support the organization of webinars and workshops, including logistical support (follow up invitations, technical support, materials design)
- Support review, development, and/or editing of a broad range of presentations, concept notes, and internal reports.
What you will need:
- To be registered in a study program with a Dutch college or university for the full duration of the internship
- Pursuing a degree in urban planning, public policy, public administration, environmental science/management/policy or related field (graduate program preferred)
- English fluency. Proficiency in Portuguese and/or Spanish is a plus.
What We Offer
- This is a 6-month internship with a start date of September 5th, 2022
- This internship will be based at the WRI Europe office in the Hague with some flexibility to work from home
- This internship offers a reimbursement of 350 euros per month based on full-time working hours
- Preference for interns available full-time with flexibility around study requirements
- WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.