The Department of City Planning (DCP) is New York City’s primary land use agency and is instrumental in designing the City’s physical and socioeconomic framework. DCP’s ambition is to make all of New York a better place to live, to maintain what works and improve what doesn’t.
About the Role
The Department of City Planning is seeking a computational designer with strong 3D modeling, data analysis, and visualization skills. As a team lead for computation design, the ideal candidate would craft a vision and direction for the application of computation and design for the agency and the City. Projects would include further developing and building upon the agency’s parametric modeling tools built to date, writing computational algorithms based on New York City’s zoning resolution, and developing a unique suite of tools to enhance and expedite the work of planners and designers across the agency and the City.
What You're Gonna Do
- Manage the development of analytical tools for 3D-modeling at NYC Planning
- Assess and integrate new technologies into the agency’s workflow, including the assessment of future development scenarios, iterative building massings and zoning envelopes
- Create data-driven modeling and analysis tools that allow for iterative assessment and comparison across multiple planning criteria
- Develop automated standard massing and visualization tools, with basic outputs for gathering data, including zoning compliance, floor area ratio, square footage, etc.
- Build a foundation for the integration of 3D-modeling with web-based platforms, with the ultimate goal of providing a public-facing tool for assessing development potential and impacts
- Serve as a bridge to agency data engineers and web designers, including DCP’s Planning Labs unit.
- Manage and mentor entry-level computation designers and interns
- Coordinate with agency leadership and key points of contact at partner agencies, including presentations promoting the agency’s work and updating key stakeholders on ongoing tool development
- Strong computational and urban design capabilities with knowledge of physical design practices including site planning and programming, building layout, massing and architectural design.
- Knowledge of urban landscape and environmental design and familiarity with resiliency and sustainability measures and best practices.
- Experience leading and managing teams
- Demonstrated presentation and written communication skills; experience speaking publicly and making effective presentations.
- Motivated self-starter with an ability to collaborate and communicate in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage and capacity to take initiative, and to complete tasks in a timely fashion.
- Knowledge of New York City’s general urban planning and land use issues, policies and needs, as well as best practice examples from around the world.
- Grasshopper (knowledge of data trees, Grasshopper scripting a must; C# and Python a plus)
- Sketchup, AutoCAD
- Adobe Creative Suite (AfterEffects positive but not required)
- Python, MySQL
- Three.js (positive but not required)
What We Offer
Please note this is a temporarily funded grant position through June 30, 2021.
The position requires working on-site at the NYC Department of City Planning headquarters, 120 Broadway, in New York’s Financial District.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.