The Department of City Planning (DCP) is New York City’s primary land use agency and is instrumental in designing the City’s physical and socioeconomic framework. DCP’s ambition is to make all of New York a better place to live, to maintain what works and improve what doesn’t.
About the Role
NYC Planning is hiring a Senior Director of Application Development to lead the modernization of digital product development throughout our various application development teams. This new and exciting position at NYC Planning will help our agency build digital services at scale.
As the Senior Director, you will own our portfolio of digital products implemented in a number of technologies. You’ll establish a department-wide strategy and roadmap for building impactful digital products, modernizing legacy systems, and streamlining integrations. You’ll also set the vision of how to continue the transformation of development practices and enable your cross-disciplinary teams of product managers, developers, and designers to deliver high-quality digital products and services.
You’ll report to NYC Planning’s Chief Information Officer and routinely interface with executives at the agency, NYC Cyber Command, DoITT, and other key parties in the City.
What You're Gonna Do
- You’ll manage teams of designers, engineers, and product managers
- You’ll develop and promote a vision and roadmap for application modernization and digital transformation, making pragmatic decisions on the use of open source and reducing vendor lock-in
- You’ll cultivate an environment where end users are engaged and educated so that informed feature development improves our products
- You’ll uphold excellent user experience as a priority in feature delivery and product maintenance
- You’ll assure that application development is done in accordance with department policies — and continuously advocate to improve those policies
- You’ll collaborate with key partners to define and implement modern security practices in development and deployment of products
- You’ll routinely engage with civic tech community to promote planning technology and best practices
- You’ll promote a high-engagement culture marked by creativity, accountability, and sense of ownership
- You have the inspiring ability to unleash the creativity in others
- You’re passionate about learning new technologies and sharing the latest best practices
- You have experience as a technical manager with fluency in modern software development and are capable of making sound high-level technical decisions
- You have experience in at least 3 disciplines supporting application development: product management, software engineering, DevOps, technical architecture, digital service
- You have 10+ years of experience in software engineering / architecture, with at least 3 years managing technical teams of 4+ people
- You have 10+ years of experience working in an agile, iterative development process and employing tools such as Git, Azure DevOps, CircleCI, Docker, and Ansible (or other CI/CD tools)
- You have a deep understanding of cloud architectures and patterns on Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud
- You have an understanding of the City’s tech environment and policies
What We Offer
Authorization to work in the United States is required for this position. This position is not remote, but you are not required to live within New York City.
$115,000 – $135,000
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.