ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
The Governance & Social Innovation team develops, coordinates and implements projects and services focused on societal, cultural and governance aspects of sustainable development in European cities. Its team members support local governments in developing innovative, integrated and participatory practices, systems and procedures to govern the transformation of their cities.
Culture is central to what makes cities attractive, creative and sustainable. It can play a fundamental role in engaging citizens in local transformation processes, in overcoming unsustainable traditions and developing new local identities. In recent years, the connections between local and global culture have more and more mirrored the connections between local and global development agendas. The projects implemented by the Governance and Social Innovation Team deliver new ways to access and experience culture and cultural transitions in cities, ensuring sound environmental solutions, bottom-up participation and governance solutions, while increasing livability and safety in the involved areas.
The position is based on projects and services, and will be supervised by the Coordinator for Culture and Sustainability.
What You're Gonna Do
- Conceptualisation and implementation of project tasks and deliverables.
- Desk research and drafting of reports on innovative solutions for sustainable cultural transitions in European cities.
- Conceptualisation and writing of guidance materials, case studies and news articles on innovative measures in areas relevant to culture and sustainable cities and adaptive reuse of cultural heritage.
- Facilitation of exchange, evaluation, peer-learning and capacity-building among European cities concerned with culture and sustainable development.
- Organisation, programme development and facilitation of project-related meetings and other events convening stakeholders from a range of organisations.
- Dissemination of information on projects on culture and sustainable development and more generally on issues of Governance and Social Innovation: Website content management and maintenance, newsletters, presentations, articles.
- Project management including general administrative tasks, communication with project partners, monitoring of implementation and external reporting to the project coordinators and funding agencies.
- Input to the acquisition of future projects and writing of project proposals.
- Representation of ICLEI at events and presentations as necessary
- Education: Academic degree in cultural animation / management, socio-cultural studies, urban geography, economic studies, urban sustainability studies, transition management, or related field.
- Sound understanding of sustainable development, cultural transitions, governance and social innovation.
- Professional experience: At least two years of work experience in European projects, ideally in the field of sustainability / governance / culture, preferably in a non-profit environment / in organisations working with/for cities; Excellent skills in project management, organisation and communication.
- Languages: very good command of English (reading, writing and speaking) plus at least one additional European language.
- Personality: Active, dynamic and entrepreneurial approach to work including creativity and interest in project and service development. Precision and ability to be self-organised within an international team.
- Communication: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (orally and in writing). Excellent representation skills. Confidence in communicating with partners from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Computer skills: Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications, e-mail, www research. Experience in web editing, desktop publishing and/or graphics software will be an advantage.
What We Offer
- Initially limited contract, starting from April 2020 (or later) with a duration of 2 years. Continuation afterwards is intended.
- Corridor contract 80-100% with a gross salary according to Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR € 45.000 - € 48.000 per annum for 100%). Foreseen to start at 100% of full-time position.
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany.
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum.
- Working language: English.
- Readiness for frequent travel
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.