ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
We are offering the position of
Head of the Sustainable Mobility Program
The successful candidate will be responsible for the strategic and operational implementation of the sustainable mobility program under the five interconnected pathways and lead the Sustainable Mobility Team within the ICLEI World Secretariat.
The Manager is tasked with acquiring and overseeing mobility activities in cities worldwide via the promotion as well as implementation of sustainable mobility projects and initiatives within the context of ICLEI’s strategic pathways and in cooperation with ICLEI’s regional offices.
The Manager position is for a pro-active, experienced and very well organized strategic thinker with exceptional fundraising and negotiation skills towards funders and partners from the public, private and non-profit sector.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record in project management and the ability to keep a detailed overview of multiple complex projects. Experience in budgeting and financial management, capacity building and team development is strongly desired. The candidate should be able to create a collaborative management structure and a positive work environment. Additionally, skills and experience in contract and proposal writing and a talent for public speaking, moderation and facilitation are essential.
What You're Gonna Do
In the role as Manager of ICLEI’s Sustainable Mobility team, the candidate will:
- Support local and regional governments, especially ICLEI Members, in the transformation towards integrated, socially inclusive, and environmentally-friendly urban mobility for both people and freight.
- Guide the strategic development of the team and oversee the development of projects, knowledge products, tools and publications in order to establish ICLEI as a globally leading organisation in the field of sustainable mobility.
- Represent ICLEI and, in particular, the ICLEI World Secretariat in official functions and vis-à-vis partners, funders, local and regional governments and build a strong contact network of partners and funders
- Coordinate with other Managers and senior staff at the ICLEI World Secretariat to foster effective inter-team collaboration and liaise with ICLEI Regional Offices to support global implementation and capacity development across all offices
- Strengthen ICLEI’s current global networks, such as EcoMobility Alliance and EcoLogistics Community
- Act as Manager (Team Leader) for the Sustainable Mobility team at the ICLEI World Secretariat, will perform tasks including:
o Strategic coordination and responsibility for fundraising and project acquisition processes and fostering relations and negotiating with funders, partners and contractors
o Strategic line management of all Senior Officers, Officers, Junior Officers and Assistant Staff within the team
o Responsibility for staff capacity planning and professional development, as well as overall team coordination
o Strategic financial management as well as financial reporting activities
o Overseeing the implementation of sustainable mobility projects and other strategic areas based on project requirements.
o Facilitating ICLEI inter-office cooperation and coordination
o Supporting ICLEI Sustainable Mobility portfolio holder in ICLEI’s leadership in activities such as international events and ICLEI Global/Regional Executive Committee
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as transport planning/management/policies, urban planning/design, environmental planning/policies, civil engineering or comparable
- Demonstrated skills in team management, project management and financial management
- 6-8 years of thematically and operationally relevant work experience
- Demonstrated success in the development of project acquisition and business development
- Knowledge of current policies, planning concepts and trends in sustainable mobility in cities.
- Excellent command of the English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office applications, particularly MS Word, Power Point and Excel are a must
- Readiness for frequent international travel
Desired Additional Skills And Experience:
- Fluency in additional languages, especially German, Spanish or Chinese are an asset
- Familiar with social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, other).
- Excellent communication style, in writing and orally, well delivering networking and public speaking and interacting with partners and clients
- Well-organized, attention to detail, structured and proactive working style
- Inspiring “can-do” attitude, creative problem solving and strong strategic thinking skills
- Ability to create an enabling, collaborative team culture and structure based on intrapreneurship principles and supporting and growing a strong team of independent (Junior / Senior) Officers.
What We Offer
- Employment contract at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany to start as soon as possible, for an initial duration of two years, with a possible extension based on good performance and secured funding by the end of the term
- The position is within ICLEI’s Sustainable Mobility team and will report to the Director of Global Implementation of the ICLEI World Secretariat
- The salary will reflect applicable years of experience of the successful candidate and be determined in accordance with the ICLEI World Secretariat Employment Grid and Salary Grid. For a Manager position, the applicable range lies between 51,187 € and 58,879 € p.a. before taxes and social contributions
- Workings hours: 40 h per week
- 30 days of paid leave per year
- Working language: English
- Non-EU citizens are welcome to apply. Due to legal requirements, applicants must possess or be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
This job is available for international candidates.