ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
ICLEI CBC is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced individual who is passionate about nature, cities and people, to apply for the position of Global Coordinator: CitiesWithNature & RegionsWithNature, managed globally from our Cities Biodiversity Center.
CitiesWithNature, ICLEI’s flagship and bespoke global programme on nature and cities, serves cities and regions from around the world with technical and advocacy services, tools and offerings on mainstreaming biodiversity and nature. We are looking for a candidate who is a highly self-motivated, dynamic and enthusiastic, has a flair for marketing and communications, excellent networking and motivational skills, enjoys a challenge and feels comfortable engaging with people at different levels.
The post involves promoting CitiesWithNature and its sister platform, RegionsWithNature which is currently under development, recruiting cities and regions from around the world, and building strategic partnerships.
What You're Gonna Do
The successful candidate must have strong organisational, coordination and promotion skills, and proven experience in the following areas:
- Liaison and networking among a wide range of public officials (executive and technical) and high- level representatives of international partner organisations at different levels, as well as experts and executives from NGOs, the academic and business sectors, professionals and stakeholders
- Marketing and promotion of concepts, value propositions and programmes
- Creative communications (verbal, written, social media, web-based etc.) to diverse audiences
- Development and implementation of multi-year work programmes
- Business development and mobilising resources
Candidates who demonstrate exceptional communication and marketing/promotion skills combined with a keen interest for, and proven experience in, nature and cities and web-based media and communication platforms, will have an added advantage.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong city/local and subnational government orientation and focus; as well as a well-developed awareness of the role cities and regions play in biodiversity conservation, and the overall resilience of cities.
- Relevant Master’s or equivalent qualification
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience, preferably within, or closely with, local or
other subnational governments, or at global level
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in
a highly dynamic, adaptive, and creative environment, with various project teams, ICLEI management, high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organizations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI
- Ability to produce reports, popular articles, communication, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in
- Innovative, passionate, and conscientious individual with a ‘can-do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks internationally
Ability to work with, and keen interest in, technology and digital media, and web design;
Strong inter-personal, organisational, and coordination skills and ability to work on both
practical, hands-on activities and high-level strategic tasks simultaneously
Ability to work across research, practical, technological, communications, and project domains
Ability to manage complex projects and multiple stakeholders, adapt to changing circumstances
and contexts, work with tight deadlines, thrive under pressure, and be comfortable with
complexity and a dynamic working environment
- Experience in marketing concepts and programmes, communications and the associated ability
to design and implement campaigns and projects related thereto, will be an added advantage.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills in English
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally (within
obvious limitations such as through the current Covid-19 pandemic)
- Knowledge of the global geo-political context
- Proficiency in another global language, especially French/Spanish/Arabic/Chinese/Portuguese
will be a strong added advantage
- Interest in continuous learning and professional development, and an eagerness to grow within the company and team in an environment that actively supports and steers progress and encourages advancement in line with performance
What We Offer
24-month fixed term contract position based in Cape Town with the potential of renewal
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.