The Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC) is an education, research, production and dissemination center with the mission to shape the future habitat of our society, building it in the present.
About the Role
IAAC has an established expertise in Smart City projects, as well as urban planning and design in the era of Big Data. The Data Scientist will join IAAC’s Advanced Architecture Group as a member dedicated to the fundamental process of capturing, indexing, visualizing and processing urban data for the development of informed and optimized urban design and planning processes. The Data Scientist will be developing applied research and projects, as well as teaching activities, within the framework of European funded research projects and the Master in City & Technology.
What You're Gonna Do
- Manage and Optimize IAAC’s Big Data Repository: Design and build the infrastructure for data extraction, cleaning, and loading of data from a variety of sources;
- Data collection & Data Cleaning;
- Assist in the urban analytics and urban planning strategies in IAAC European funded research and other projects;
- Assist on teaching software and seminars of smart planning in IAAC’s Master in City & Technology;
- Build data analytics tools for the overlap of various datasets
- Development of web based platforms
Areas of work:
- Urban Informatics for Urban Planning applications
- Urban Dynamics & Location Insights for Urban Strategies
- Interactive Web Mapping
- Urban Data Analysis & Visualization
Required software skills:
- Knowledge of GIS, Mapbox and/or Leaflet is highly appreciated.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent quantitative field and previous experience in a similar Data Scientist role;
- Experience working with and extracting value from large, disconnected and/or unstructured datasets;
- Demonstrated ability to build processes that support data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to project manage and work with cross-functional teams;
- Previous experience in interacting with a team;
- Autonomous, able to take on responsibilities efficiently;
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills;
- Willing to learn, motivated, enthusiastic.
- Language: English (+ Spanish appreciated).
What We Offer
Working Hours: 20h/week
Contract type: Part-time (Full-time contract will be considered after 6 months according to the applicant’s profile)
Commencement: mid-January/beginning of February 2019
Spanish working permit is mandatory
12,000 € – 18,000 €
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.