The Charter Cities Institute is a nonprofit dedicated to building the ecosystem for charter cities. It was founded on the idea that a fresh approach was necessary to tackle humanity’s most pressing challenges: global poverty, rapid urbanization, and conflict and migration caused by poverty, war, and climate change. Charter cities—new cities granted a special jurisdiction to create a new governance system, are that solution.
The process to create each new charter city is complex. It requires the collaboration of numerous stakeholders, including new city developers, governments, investors, multi-lateral institutions, and international development experts. By coordinating the efforts of the various stakeholders, it’s possible to accelerate the development of charter cities and lift tens of millions of people out of poverty.
About the Role
The urban research intern will work on multiple urban research projects in various contexts around the world. The role is designed for individuals who seek a career in urban research and development. Candidates must be interested in working with new effective cities and urban research. This internship is designed to provide an excellent opportunity for interns to understand the idea of charter cities and how to think about creating excellent cities to foster sustainable growth and improve the standard of living. Interns must be creative, open minded and be willing to take on the challenge of working on new planning and urban research projects.
What You're Gonna Do
- Urban research projects as assigned by supervisor
- Coordination with the research team to learn the vital aspects of city economics and legal issues affecting the plan
- Punctuality & regularity at team meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Commitment to reading and learning assignments
- Innovation & an entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent verbal communication and analytical skills
- Create, prepare, or requisition graphic and narrative reports.
- Research projects on different aspects of urbanism and cities
- A bachelor or masters student of urban planning
- Knowledge of urban spatial structure, master plans and the way in which cities work
- Excellent research and academic writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of global south urbanism issue
- Excellent command of 2D Drawings programs; AutoCAD or similar programs
- Excellent command of 3D Modeling programs; 3D-MAX, sketch up or similar programs
- Excellent command of Photoshop, InDesign and illustrator
CCI offers a $2,500 stipend for the 3-month period, to be paid in two instalments at the midpoint and end of the internship.
This job is available for international candidates.