UN-Habitat supports countries to implement the urban dimensions of the sustainable development agenda to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. We focus on four main domains of change: Reduced spatial inequality and poverty in communities across the urban-rural continuum; enhanced shared prosperity for cities and regions; strengthened climate action and improved urban environment; and effective urban crises prevention and response.
About the Role
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean / Global Solutions Division internship is for 6 months.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship. The work hours during the internship shall be determined based on individual discussion between the intern and the supervisor(s) taking into consideration the minimum requirements of the Organization and the time difference between the hosting office and the location of the intern
What You're Gonna Do
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the Supervision of the UN-Habitat Urban Lab the intern will:
- Support in the architecture design and the development of Our City Plans (OCP) digital platform and tools, and coordinate the project progress with the web development provider.
- Support in the UX/UI design and visual identity of the OCP digital platform and urban planning tools.
- Support the team in organizing and facilitating design sessions to build the different components of the digital platform.
- Assist in the design and implementation of prototypes and product research, support the team in gathering and systematizing the results, and propose iterations to be incorporated into the digital platform.
- Manage and edit content in the OCP digital platform, according to input and feedback received from users.
- Assist in planning and elaboration of documents, workshops, capacity building and communication materials, presentations, and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
c. Have graduated with Bachelor's degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred area of study:
Currently pursuing or attained degree in fields related to Computer Science, Software Engineering, Design, Urban Planning, Urban Science or similar. Knowledge in digital product development/programming, use of no-code development platforms, UX-UI design and digital product research.
No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
Are you familiar with project planning?
Are you able to work under tight deadlines and multitask?
Is your field of study closely related to the type of internship you are applying for?
What We Offer
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
This job is available for international candidates.