The Global Alliance - Cities4Children was established to tackle the huge challenges and numerous issues faced by children living in urban areas, especially the most marginalized children. We believe that together we will achieve greater collective impact and influence, we will avoid replication and siloed work, we will be able to encourage country and city level collaboration and will have a louder voice with joint advocacy and communications geared to change the narrative on urban areas that are fit for children.
About the Role
Childhood is increasingly experienced in urban areas. Urbanisation is presenting new challenges for children in urban areas, especially for the approximately 350-500 million children growing up in informal settlements and slums. Populations are becoming increasingly urbanised, as are poverty and inequality. With the growing risks faced by urban populations in general, and children in particular, the Urban Hub at Save the Children Switzerland is working to address the needs of urban children and youth both internally within Save the Children's work and projects and externally via leading the Global Alliance - Cites4Children, an alliance of over 25 organisations from a range of sectors who want to see urban areas that are planned, designed and managed to support children and youth to reach their highest potential.
Communicating for impact is central to our work.
What You're Gonna Do
The Urban Hub at Save the Children is looking for an experienced communications for social impact specialist to join our team to lead and execute our internal and external communications work, both for Cities4Children - the Global alliance as well as the urban Hub at Save the Children.
- Managing social media accounts of Cities4Children - Global Alliance: developing a content strategy, maintaining a content calendar, designing and developing a variety of appealing content and visual assets that follow brand guidelines.
- Manage and writing original content of the blog of Cities4Children. The blog provides high quality, accessible, peer reviewed and action-oriented content to inspire action towards better cities for children and young people. Managing the blog involves organising peer review, editing submissions by guest contributors and copy editing and formatting the final content on Wordpress.
- Producing regular newsletters, content and digital publications both for both internal and external audiences.
- Organising online events and webinars to share ideas4action and research findings.
- Education and at least 5 years of professional experience in Urban Studies and journalistic writing.
- Exceptional skills to write clear and simple texts in English that distil large amounts of information for non-specialist audiences both for social media and for blogs.
- Attention to detail in writing and copy-editing.
- Proven success in designing and implementing impactful communications strategies and campaigns.
- Past communications experience in social media and graphic design.
- Skills in photo editing software, design, and social media, especially Canva and/or Premiere Pro. Video producing skills would be an asset.
- Good knowledge of social media management and analytics, especially Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Experience with tools such as Hootsuite and Mailchimp.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, with an ability to meet deadlines.
- Proactive personality and motivation to bring innovative and engaging ideas.
- An ability to work as part of a team within a networked structure, and to maintain good working relationships with colleagues across functional and geographical boundaries.
- A passion for urban transformation. Past experience of working on urbanism in Africa, Asia and Latin America, especially in informal settlements/slums would be an advantage.
- A commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values.
- A commitment to Cities4Children – The Global Alliance's mission and guiding principles.
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is the basis of all our work. Our child protection policy requires that all employees sign our child safe-guarding declaration.
What We Offer
Interested consultants should submit below mentioned documents by May 15th 2022 to [email protected]
- An updated CV
- A cover letter clarifying how your expertise is suited to this work
- Your remuneration expectations
- A portfolio of relevant work
- Contact information for two work- related referees
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If the Consultant is not residing in Switzerland it is in the Consultants responsibility to register and pay the statutory social security contributions in the Consultant's place of residence corresponding to local law. Save the Children Switzerland requires that the Consultant confirms the registration and payment of the above-described personal insurances by sending written proof, such as receipts or completed insurance forms, to Save the Children Switzerland.
This job is available for international candidates.