ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
The position is open to eligible and qualified Master’s students and Ph.D. candidates.
An internship with ICLEI offers the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience on sustainability knowledge under the supervision of experienced staff. Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments as well as the needs and capacity of the team to receive and supervise interns.
Interns will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany and will be placed within the Research Team. In this current COVID-19 pandemic, it is possible for the internship to be remotely supervised.
What You're Gonna Do
- Support the implementation and operationalization of ICLEI’s Global Research Strategy
- Assist the implementation of projects managed by the Research Team and ad hoc
research tasks (also with reference to the intern’s own thematic study interests),
- Assist in the implementation of projects managed by the Urban Research Team and ad hoc research tasks as required (also with reference to the intern’s thematic interests);
- Conduct desk research for compiling state-of-the-art literature and information about different topics, chief among them “innovation” and “sustainable innovation” as well as “digitalization”, and “digital finance”;
- Data validation and analysis;
- Support development of project concepts;
- Design visual display of data and information to various audiences;
- Supporting the development of promotional materials such as blogposts;
- Support development of ICLEI’s knowledge products (case studies, peer-reviewed publications, etc.), linking current & relevant trends in academia to ICLEI’s work.
Formal essential requirements:
- Being enrolled in a vocational training or university in a relevant subject, such as innovation, digital studies, digital transformation management, urban studies, environmental science, public policy, engineering, or similar.
Professional requirements and behavioral competences:
- Excellent communication skills and command of English (speaking, writing, and reading). Knowing additional language(s) is an asset.
- Strong writing skills (scientific reports, case studies, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills; competent in MS Excel (being competent with the other
statistical analysis software such as SPSS is a plus).
- Strong desk research ability (having a published peer-review journal paper is a plus).
- Confident user of Microsoft Office, (being competent with graphical design software such as Adobe InDesign or Data Visualization Software such as Power BI is a plus).
- Positive, flexible, and pro-active work attitude.
What We Offer
Terms and conditions:
- ICLEI is offering a monthly compensation of EUR 880 gross (brutto) for the full-time internship unless they benefit from a scholarship.
- The position is available for a period of minimum three months to maximum six months.
- Possible start date: Mid-September or beginning of October 2022.
- The intern will be supervised by ICLEI’s Acting Head of Urban Research Team.
- Working hours: 40/week, 2,5 days of leave per full month
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must have or be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship can be a remote position through tele- supervision (with the possibility of a few in-person meetings during the on-boarding, as needed).
This job is available for international candidates.