About the Role
This position is part of an international research project that aims to contribute novel insight into urban governance and sustainable spatial planning by examining meaningful engagement and participatory tools and methods, as well as contemporary challenges in urban areas in Europe. Special attention is paid to underrepresented groups in urban governance and planning, such as young people. As such, the research to be conducted in this open position is located at the intersection of two applied areas of work: participatory environmental governance and critical urban studies. This envisages engagement with related theoretical and analytical frameworks, including social movement theory, multi-level governance framework, intersectionality, ethics of care, social and environmental justice, knowledge co-creation and intergenerational equity. The position requires active and collegial participation in the academic environment at Södertörn University.
We are looking for someone interested in conducting innovative research and are a strong team player willing to balance your personal research interests with those of the group. Experience with data visualisation, the curation of qualitative and quantitative databases, and basic knowledge of GIS is beneficial. Duties include research and associated tasks. Some teaching may be included in these duties, but no more than 20 per cent of the total level of employment. This position requires proficiency with English language. Understanding of Swedish is beneficial.
What You're Gonna Do
The position includes the following tasks:
- undertaking qualitative research in Sweden and abroad, analysing and summarising research outcomes for scientific publications
- contributing to the design and delivery of participatory activities that involve underrepresented social groups (e.g. young people) from multi-ethnic urban areas, and summarising research outcomes in scientific publications
- maintaining and expanding the network of contacts relevant to the project’s overall objectives and, in line with our research agenda, engaging with societal actors and non-academic stakeholders in Sweden and abroad
- presenting research results at project meetings, workshops and conferences, both nationally and internationally
- generating new research insights and disseminating them to societal actors in novel ways
This job is available for international candidates.