The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) is the nation’s largest municipal housing preservation and development agency. Its mission is to promote quality housing and diverse, thriving neighborhoods for New Yorkers through loan and development programs for new affordable housing, preservation of the affordability of the existing housing stock, enforcement of housing quality standards, and educational programs for tenants and building owners.
About the Role
he Director of Analytics & Data Strategy is a data leader within Strategic Operations and Analytics (SOA), which works to increase HPD's impact by analyzing and improving operations agency-wide. We do this by clarifying HPD program missions, objectives, and stakeholders; implementing initiatives that advance HPD's goals; analyzing data to deliver actionable insights to HPD programs; and increasing the agency's overall ability to leverage data.
As Director of Analytics & Data Strategy, you will design and implement analytic solutions that deliver insights to internal and external stakeholders. You and your team will enable data-driven decision-making and public data transparency, towards improving housing programs for New Yorkers.
What You're Gonna Do
Reporting to the Executive Director of Business Intelligence & Data Innovation, your role will be to work across the agency to grow traditional and self-service business intelligence (BI) tools – and other data pipelines; drive adoption of new analytic tools; oversee open data initiatives; and foster a strong data culture at all organizational levels.
- Implement and expand analytic solutions (in partnership with tech teams) that deliver insights to internal and external stakeholders. Provide thought leadership on how to modernize agency data pipelines, infrastructure, and reporting.
- Supervise a small team of analysts in delivering dashboards, open datasets, and other analytic products that improve operations and decision-making for HPD housing programs
- Lead/oversee HPD’s Open Data program, including public outreach
- Act as data enthusiast, collaborating closely with HPD’s Tech team and building relationships with staff and leadership across the agency
- Develop strategies and expand tools for effective data analysis and reporting using tools and software such as Python, Power BI, Oracle BI, SQL, GIS, and more
- Manage special analytic projects to further integrate and leverage data in agency operations
- Cultivate an agency-wide network of data-savvy staff and democratize data access where possible
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader, and problem-solver with the following skills:
- Strong data enthusiast with experience implementing (or expanding adoption of) new analytic tools
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to convey technical concepts with staff at all levels
- Skills in Python, R, or SQL (or similar); Experience with business intelligence tools (e.g., Power BI or Tableau)
- Ability to create or lead trainings on using data, dashboards, or analytic tools
- Interest in open data and/or improving government operations with data
- Supervisory or management experience is preferred
- A graduate degree in a relevant field is a plus.
This job is available for international candidates.