AECOM is a global network of experts working with clients, communities and colleagues to develop and implement innovative solutions to the world’s most complex challenges.
About the Role
AECOM is seeking a motivated, technical, and highly talented Urban Planner to join our global Asset Advisory practice and contribute to growing our NY Metro, US East, and global portfolio of work. This position can be located in one of AECOM’s New York City or Clifton NJ offices, or remotely from the US or other approved global locations. Urban Planners may work directly with clients and other stakeholders, as well as AECOM leadership, management, and technical teams to ensure project and program objectives are met. This position will require management of project tasks, independent development of task deliverables, and accountability in adhering to AECOM’s quality policies and norms.
What You're Gonna Do
- Program / project technical responsibilities and task and / or deliverable management
- Technical coordination and development related to strategic planning (asset management related), analytical review of client asset portfolios, regulatory frameworks, technical standards, and information, etc.
- Development of business process guidance and development of technical recommendation reports (or similar documents)
- Technical writing, to include quality reviews and editorial efforts associated with technical writing
- Business development responsibilities include supporting the maintenance of client relationships, analyzing RFPs and other contract solicitations, and supporting proposal response teams, and others
- Assumes responsibility (in partnership with the Program / Project Managers and Project Approver) for the development of technical aspects of the work and adhering to AECOM’s quality policies and norms for all deliverables
- Reviews and becomes familiar with project documents, including legal / contract documents, scopes of work, schedules, and task orders, and leverages this information to deliver technical services
- Participates in practice, program, project, corporate, and client meetings as required
- Effectively communicates relevant business, practice, program, and project status information internally and externally as required
- Supports the development of engaging, informative, and well-organized technical presentations
- Fosters an atmosphere of inclusion, learning, curiosity, technical excellence, and most important partnership and teamwork
- Consistently participates in an environment that encourages acknowledgment, appreciation, and motivation of colleagues, the Asset Advisory practice, and program / project teams
- Displays thoughtfulness, intuition, and professionalism in client engagement
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and clients to identify needs, uncover technical details, and evaluate alternative solutions when necessary
- Interprets and applies applicable government codes, ordinances, and regulations
- Initiates actions necessary to correct deficiencies or violations of regulations
- Assists with updates and maintenance of Comprehensive Plan, transportation plan, and land development regulations
- Acts as a liaison between community groups, government agencies, developers, and elected officials in developing neighborhood plans
- Conducts review of various development applications, including plats, permits, site plans, variance requests, and rezonings
- Conducts extensive research in specific or general project areas
- Writes and presents formal and technical reports, working papers, and correspondence
- Identifies community problems, issues, and opportunities in particular neighborhoods that could be mitigated through better community planning
- Develops long-range plans for communities with common developmental issues
- Develops strategies to promote economic and community development, or efficient land use consistent with community goals
- Evaluates the adequacy of community facilities in meeting current and projected needs
- Recommends priorities, schedules, and funding sources to implement public improvements plan
- Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Asset Management, Facilities Management, and Operations, or related discipline plus two (2) years of relevant experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Strong urban planning, governance planning, and/or management consulting background
- Licensure in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, or other relevant professional discipline is preferred but not required
- IAM and/or PMP certifications are preferred but not required
- four or more years of asset / facilities management planning, architectural, engineering, or professional consulting experience
- Experience with NYC, NYS, NJ, and federal agencies
LEED certification or similar preferred but not required
- Experience developing technical material and documentation in fulfillment of program / project deliverables per defined scopes of work
- Experience in project and / or opportunity due diligence, research, or other investigatory activities, and the development of resulting recommendations or justifying reports
- Strong technical comprehension of the candidate’s discipline area and technical writing abilities
- Understanding of program / project management (task-level setup, delivery, and closeout)
- Familiarity / understanding / experience in asset management / portfolio management
- Familiarity / understanding / experience in strategic planning and client advisory
- Familiarity / understanding / experience in technical research, assessment, analysis, and reporting
- Familiarity / understanding / experience with digital technologies used in urban planning and/or asset management practice (GIS, data collection, databases, dashboards, BI interface applications, CMMS, BAS/BMS, remote sensing, and/or other)
What We Offer
Offered rate of compensation will be based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. The salary range for this position is $85,000 - $100,000.
AECOM is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our employees. Depending on your employment status, AECOM benefits may include medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D and disability benefits, paid time off, leaves of absence, voluntary benefits, perks, wellness and global well-being, and global EAP, Business Travel and Service Awards programs.
With infrastructure investment accelerating worldwide, our services are in great demand, and there’s never been a better time to be at AECOM! Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Join us and let’s get started.
This job is available for international candidates.