SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 19 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces. We are deeply committed to our promise to Design a Better Future - for our clients, communities and employees. Are you ready to help us get there?
About the Role
The Madison office of SmithGroup is looking for a Urban Designer - Mobility Specialist to join our team.
What You're Gonna Do
Working with us, you will:
- Be a collaborative team member, using your multimodal urban design expertise to shape and guide the development of complex projects from concept to final design that range from complete streets and urban trails to urban design, mixed-use development, and campus planning projects.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of planning and design professionals from SmithGroup offices across the country.
- Engage with Marketing, Business Development, and other disciplines to effectively market our services in our growing mobility practice, including involvement in the preparation of qualification and proposal packages, interview materials and technical proposals as well as participate in thought leadership opportunities.
- Assist in fostering relationships both current and prospective clients.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist teams in profitably delivering design excellence and client satisfaction.
- Prepare concepts, design development, construction documents and graphic illustrations on mobility projects.
- Assist with writing master plan reports, technical reports, and articles for professional publication.
- Make presentations of planning and design ideas to clients, community groups, and professional organizations.
- A bachelor’s degree in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in the urban design mobility field.
- Experience in leading or managing project teams.
- Expertise in multi-modal corridor design principles and methods – especially related to active transportation infrastructure.
- Professional registration and sustainability accreditation preferred.
- Excellent skills in urban design and master planning.
- Excellent knowledge of, and familiarity with the use of graphic programs such as SketchUp, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, GIS and AutoCAD. Knowledge of BIM is helpful.
- Desire to think innovatively and creatively – to use mobility expertise to help guide and inform design solutions through implementation within a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
What We Offer
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and wellbeing resources. We promote a healthy work/life balance for our staff which includes an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays), as well as hybrid options that give our team flexibility to work within our vibrant office culture or remotely, as needed. We also offer paid time off that is immediately available to new hires, 8 paid federal holidays, and parental leave benefits.
SmithGroup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.
This job is available for international candidates.