Gensler is a global design firm grounded in the belief that design strategy optimizes performance and enriches experience. Our 6,000 practitioners networked across 46 offices use global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. Whether we are refreshing a retailer’s brand, planning a new urban district, or designing a super tall building, we strive to make the everyday places people occupy more inspiring, more resilient, and more impactful.
About the Role
At Gensler, the Design Manager is an integral part of the team who specialise in Urban Design. We take pride in our collaborative approach and one-firm-firm mindset to meet our client’s goals, objectives, and overall project vision. It is in this spirit and as a Design Manager, it will be your role to lead the team through the delivery of a variety of project types and sizes, across all phases.
As such, Design Management at Gensler is characterised by the five (5) essentials of the role: Client Engagement, Contract Compliance, Business of Design, Process Definition, and Team Integration. This includes but not limited to serving as the main point of contact for the client through the project design and delivery phases; managing the internal and external processes; and building efficient project teams while mentoring junior staff to encourage the highest level of design and client satisfaction.
What You're Gonna Do
- Develop and nurture positive relationships with existing client contacts, optimising all potential opportunities
- Work directly with the Urban Design Leaders across Europe.
- Maintain an awareness of existing clients’ business objectives, plans, target audience and market trends, and ensure that appropriate opportunities are identified to generate further demand for Gensler services.
- Responsible for the day-to-day delivery of projects ensuring they are delivered on time and on budget
- Lead and facilitate the overall cross-functional project team
- Focus on the smooth management of the project process, ensuring clarity of requirements, deliverables, timelines, and visibility against fees throughout the project life cycle
- Prepare, communicate, and monitor project work plans, budgets, and deliverables for client and internal teams
- Prepare and review proposals, contracts, and consultant agreements
- Manage multiple aspects of client, team and project coordination
- Actively take ownership of problems and successful resolution planning in consultation with the Urban Design leadership and Studio leader.
- Support and contribute to new business development with both current and potential clients
- Contribute positively to Project reports and staffing meetings with concise and accurate information to continually improve the studio’s delivery and financial objectives
- Review internal project accounting documents and process draft project billing
- Work with the Design Director and the marketing team to ensure that the project story is documented and that photography/videography is arranged, as needed.
- Design Management experience, preferably in the Urban Design, Urban Planning
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Urban Design.
- Minimum of five (5) years of Design Management experience is essential
- Strong leadership, organisational, and communication skills.
- Experience managing consultant teams and resolving complex technical and design issues
- Proven ability to provide excellent client service and account leadership
- Be proactive and adaptable with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong programming and space planning skills
- High level of design competence with knowledge of building codes.
- Proficiency in Revit desirable
This job description reflects the core activities of the role although there will be changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time.
What We Offer
Please apply for this Design Manager role and submit your CV for review.
When applying, please mention that you discovered the opportunity on All Things Urban.
This job is available for international candidates.