BIG is a Copenhagen, New York and London based group of architects, designers, builders, and thinkers operating within the fields of architecture, urbanism, interior design, landscape design, product design, research and development. The office is currently involved in a large number of projects throughout Europe, North America, Asia and the Middle East.
BIG’s architecture emerges out of a careful analysis of how contemporary life constantly evolves and changes. Not least due to the influence from multicultural exchange, global economical flows and communication technologies that all together require new ways of architectural and urban organization. We believe that in order to deal with today’s challenges, architecture can profitably move into a field that has been largely unexplored.
What You're Gonna Do
As an Urban Designer, you will be based in our London office together with 120+ fantastic BIGsters and you will be responsible for concept generation and delivery of a number of large-scale masterplans in the Middle East, as well as smaller scale masterplans in the UK and EU. You will report to our Associate of Urban Design, while working closely with a vibrant multi-disciplinary team of architectural, design and landscape professionals.
Join us on our mission if you are an Urban Designer who has:
- Excellent concept design, detail design and visualisation skills
- Ability to develop design options in collaboration with the design team in a multi-disciplinary design environment.
- Ability to prepare, develop and edit drawings and models as they relate to the project.
- A sound understanding of urban design detailing and technical design development.
- Ability to prepare, develop and edit relevant project documentation as they relate to the project: reports, drawings, models etc.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines with a high-quality output, while always demonstrating a positive attitude
- Ability to communicate clearly and confidently to diverse clients and public officials.
- Proactive and self-motivated, with the ability to take initiative in response to direction from managers, partners and directors.
- A flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working
- The ability to work with relevant partners and directors on advancing agenda on future of urban design, mobility, ecology, infrastructure.
Experience and qualifications:
- A professional degree in Architecture with a Masters in Urban Designer and/or Landscape
- 2-6 years post-qualification experience working on medium and/or large-scale urban design/master planning projects (project experience from the Middle East is a plus)
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English - spoken and written (Arabic is a plus)
- Strong ability with Rhino and Adobe Suite (Grasshopper is a plus)
This job description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing. There is a requirement for the post holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
What We Offer
Please upload your CV and portfolio to our website. We will contact you if your profile matches our requirements.
Diversity has been part of our DNA since BIG’s foundation. A multitude of cultures and backgrounds creates a new point of reference which leads to amazing insights. At BIG, we value, celebrate and support diversity because it makes our team, work and the built environment better. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and take affirmative action to employ equally regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender.
This job is available for international candidates.