ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future.
About the Role
The position is open to eligible and qualified Master’s students who are available to conduct an internship for a duration of between three and six months from December 2023 to May 2024.
An internship with ICLEI offers the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience on sustainability knowledge under the supervision of experienced staff. Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments as well as the needs and capacity of the team to receive and supervise interns. Interns will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat team based in Bonn, Germany and will be placed within the Circular Development Team.
What You're Gonna Do
Tasks may include:
Assist the implementation of projects and advocacy activities, that include:
- Support to advocacy activities related to the United Nations Environment Assembly
(UNEA-5.2) resolution to develop a Global Plastics Treaty, which would entail desktop
assessments and research on policy and technical aspects, co-organising webinars and
side events, and general advocacy support;
- UrbanShift project activities which would include City-Business Accelerator Workshops
and delivery of the Circular Economy Strategies for Sustainable Development course;
- Technical and coordination support for projects related to Just Transition and Social
Formal essential requirements:
- Being enrolled in a vocational training or university in a relevant subject, such as urban planning, environmental science, public policy, or similar.
Professional requirements and behavioral competencies:
- Excellent communication skills and command of English and German.
- Coherent and concise writing skills (case studies, blog posts, etc.).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Confident user of Microsoft Office.
- Positive, flexible, and proactive work attitude.
- Previous (academic and/or professional) experience in the field of circular economy,
plastics and social equity/just transition.
What We Offer
- ICLEI is offering a monthly compensation of EUR 1,000 gross (brutto) for the full-time
- The position is available for a minimum three months to a maximum of six months.
- Possible start date: December 2023.
- The intern will be supervised by ICLEI’s ‘Officer: Circular Development’.
- Working hours: 40 p/week, 2 days of leave per full month.
- Working language: English and German.
- Contract will be based on German law.
This job is available for international candidates.