Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
About the Role
PPS is seeking a creative, thoughtful, and enthusiastic candidate to join the organization as Junior Project Associate. This is an entry level position that provides the opportunity to gain hands-on placemaking experience, while engaging in a wide range of program and project-related activities.
Our ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as a team, to comfortably engage with the public, and to consistently thrive under firm deadlines. This individual should have a demonstrated zeal for progressive urban policy and systemic change in cities, as well as a strong understanding of placemaking and community engagement. Preference will also be given to those candidates with a keen interest in transportation equity and a passion for changing the transportation status quo for all people.
What You're Gonna Do
- Support PPS Transportation Program in the development of tools and resources related to our “Streets as Places” agenda
- Contribute to a variety of public space projects through data analysis, report writing, project assistance, and other tasks as determined by supervisor
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (transportation focus is a plus)
- Strong analytical, research and organizational skills
- Prior experience and/or familiarity with one or more of the following: (1) public space planning, design and management issues; (2) project management processes; (3) PPS methodologies and approach to placemaking
- Commitment to public engagement and community empowerment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, research, and organizational skills
- Proficiency with Excel and Microsoft Office Suite, as well as graphic design proficiency including Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Sketch-UP, or other design and drafting programs
- Experience in economic analysis, surveying, data analytics and visualization
- GIS or other mapping software
- Work experience in planning, design, arts or management firm or non-profit
- Graduate degree in planning or related fields
What We Offer
This role is based out of our NYC office, and may require 30-40% domestic and occasional international travel.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.