Centre for London is the capital’s dedicated think tank. Our mission is to develop new solutions to London’s critical challenges and advocate for a fair and prosperous global city.
About the Role
Are you an events organiser looking for the next step in your career, with an active interest in London and urban policy? Centre for London is a think tank and a charity focused on London’s critical challenges. In this role you will work with the team to develop and deliver large and medium scale events including report launches, roundtables and public events for London’s government, business and civic leaders, experts and citizens. You will also support with delivery of our conference events, including our flagship event, The London Conference.
Through this opportunity you will gain a better understanding of how a successful events programme is run, the professional networks that shape policymaking in London, and providing an excellent experience for funders and audience members.
This role would best suit someone who already has some experience in event management and is able to take on responsibility for logistical delivery of a range of events. We will be ramping up our delivery of conferences in 2020-2021, so experience working with teams to deliver large scale events is strongly desired.
We don’t ask that you are an expert in London policy issues – though some understanding of would be helpful – but you will need to be able to learn quickly, think creatively and communicate effectively.
What You're Gonna Do
- Organise and deliver public events, report launches and private roundtables through creating guest lists, composing copy, creating invitations, administering responses and liaising with stakeholders including high level speakers.
- Support the team with the delivery of larger conference events including researching and liaising with external contacts such as speakers, contractors, sponsors, venues and other stakeholders, as well as general logistics and recruiting support staff.
- Working with others to develop new ideas for the formatting and content of Centre for London’s events programme, and bring them to life.
- Working with Communications team to ensure key messages are communicated through events content and impact is tracked
- Administer and update the events inbox and Centre for London’s website. Development and
- Work with others to develop and fundraise for the events programme including researching sponsors, speakers and exhibitors, and preparing fundraising proposals.
Reporting and record keeping
- Ensure that Salesforce, Centre for London’s CRM database, is kept up to date and accurately reflects the status of fundraising approaches and project delivery in line with latest data protection laws.
- Maintain and improve Salesforce through adding new contacts, data cleaning, coding contacts for relationship management and proactively suggesting improvements.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Undertake the duties of the job description in accordance with the operational policies of Centre for London, including but not limited to the diversity policy and code of conduct.
- Maintain good working relations with Trustees, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Present the organisation in an appropriate and professional manner to its stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and growth of the organisation through working in accordance with its wider objectives, corporate philosophy and values.
- Assist at Centre for London events outside of normal working hours as necessary.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required.
Applicants should be passionate about London and must show commitment to the mission of Centre for London: to develop new solutions to London’s critical challenges and advocate for a fair and prosperous global city.
- Proven experience in planning and delivering events, including venue management and logistics, to a high standard
- Managing relationships with funders, VIP or stakeholders
- Some experience in fundraising and development (major donors, corporate or trusts/foundations) desirable
- Experience of project management an advantage
- Awareness of London policy, networks and government, and how to effect change in policy making and practice an advantage
- Alternatively, relevant experience in a related field
- Highly organised. Able to balance and prioritise multiple tasks, often to urgent and competing deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail. Accurately record, recall and execute details such as sponsor requests, names and titles of key stakeholders, venue requirements and other details.
- Professional and confident communication skills (written and verbal). Able to liaise with senior people (e.g. speakers, chairs, sponsors).
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to assist with high level event attendees, creative problem solving on your feet.
- Excellent team player
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly. Able to show initiative and adapt quickly to new challenges.
- Strong IT proficiency, including MS Office, Salesforce, MailChimp and WordPress CMS. (Desirable)
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures to comply with the Institute of Fundraising Code of Practice; maintain confidentiality and work with financial data and personal data within ICO and GDPR regulations framework.
What We Offer
- Please follow this [link](https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=L8FjGD7BBEGt3utJ4BjTIMZE1m076FpJlPnepfwU8z9URThPMzhCWVNMUzZNUlIxSlpTRDU4NDJMNC4u) to complete the application information
- Your application should show how your experience and achievements to date would make you a suitable candidate for this role (no more than three pages total).
- Your application should be saved as a single PDF with your application ID as the title. Please check that your name isn’t included on your CV or cover letter.
- Email your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
with the subject line ‘Events Officer’.
Please note, applications will only be submitted when the form has been completed and your pdf received via email.
Deadline – 9am on Wednesday 4th March 2020
Expected interview dates – 11th or 12th March.
Unfortunately, it seems like this job is not available for international candidates. Unless you’re eligible for a work visa otherwise, please double-check with the company.