UN-Habitat supports countries to implement the urban dimensions of the sustainable development agenda to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. We focus on four main domains of change: Reduced spatial inequality and poverty in communities across the urban-rural continuum; enhanced shared prosperity for cities and regions; strengthened climate action and improved urban environment; and effective urban crises prevention and response.
About the Role
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The main focus areas of work of the internship are:
- GIS, spatial analysis, drone, satellite, remote sensing technologies
- Online platforms and dashboards for urban data gathering, visualization and decision-making.
- Urban data analysis, database and visualization (sensor data, census data, survey data and AI).
- Smart city strategies and plans
What You're Gonna Do
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the Supervision of the Head of the Mexico Office and under the direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Urban Lab in Mexico, the intern will,assist in the definition and implementation of the UN-Habitat Mexico and Cuba Office activities and outputs, such as urban plans, surveying, data gathering, data analysis and data visualization for urban planning projects, development of projects and tools, and support to field missions and scoping missions preparation.
- Support the office in the development of concrete urban planning and innovation projects, smart city plans, workshops, technology trainings, Charrettes and different tools to promote urban planning and design.
- Assist in the development of UN-Habitat Mexico and Cuba Country Office's urban planning and innovation documents, guidelines, information materials, presentations through identification and review of relevant publications and documents, drafting and commenting on documents, and assisting in producing information materials.
- Support with technical skills the development of innovative planning tools and processes linked to frontier technologies
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).
c. Have graduated in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. Programme or equivalent.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views
Preferred area of study:Urban Planning or Geography with specific focus on GIS and remote sensing technologies, or alternatively advance degree in computer science, smart cities, digital media, communication or innovation (Master candidate preferable).
Knowledge in programming, artificial intelligence, platform development, databases and data visualization will be considered an asset.
What We Offer
UN-Habitat internship have a duration of 6 months and are full-time.
This job is available for international candidates.