About the Programme
Project for Public Spaces is teaming up with Dutch mobility firm Mobycon to present “Reimagining Streets as Places,” a virtual masterclass-style training about the intersection of placemaking and transportation planning. The course will take place over three weeks in October 2020, and upon successful completion participants will be awarded a Streets as Places Certificate.
This multi-day training will be designed to support new and emerging professionals who work in transportation, as well as those who advocate for safe, multi-modal street systems and a lively and welcoming public realm. Through virtual learning sessions and assignments, participants will learn the essentials for systematically changing transportation infrastructure and behavior, preparing community-based street activations, and balancing the movement and public space functions of a street.
Topics will include:
- Placemaking concepts and practice - Engaging with a community process for making streets into active public spaces
- Human-centered design principles - Systems level thinking for more people-friendly streets
- Street typologies - Evaluating streets and learning how to adapt approaches for different street functions
- Designing for flexibility and life in the streets - Adapting lessons from Dutch mobility tactics to your local context
- Working across sectors - Learning how to communicate and collaborate with various types of partners and stakeholders
- Implementation tactics - Exploring tactics for quick street interventions and enduring infrastructure projects
- Sustaining Streets as Places - Integrating place management to meet long-term goals and ongoing growth
- Impactful case studies - Reviewing example techniques that led to real community change
- Engagement exercises - Testing out sample engagement and evaluation tools and activities
The course will provide the opportunity to earn a Streets as Places Certificate upon completion of the full set of training sessions and course commitments. Please see below for those course requirements, as well as the perks that you will receive in return for your purchase and commitment to the course.
Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
A scholarship is available, click "Register" to find out more.