About the Programme
The doctoral studies in Estonian Academy of Arts, Faculty of Architecture are divided into two directions: the traditional theoretical text based research and experimental design based research. The last one is also divided into two directions: creative practice research and research by design.
The doctoral studies include the following domains: planning, urban design, architecture, interior architecture and landscape architecture. Doctoral studies are aiming to develop and reflect creation, histories, theories and philosophy of these fields.
The more detailed aims of the doctoral studies are:
– Create new professional knowledge, which connect the spatial issues at large with the contemporary problems of society;
– Develop and introduce skills, new knowledge and professional competences to advance the sustainable development of environment;
– Create new professional knowledge and skills to collaborate with other areas of research;
– Develop existing and create new methods and strategies for research activity in spatial matters;
– To participate in the international cooperation of researchers and creative professionals of spatial matters.
In short: The doctoral studies at EKA, Faculty of Architecture aim to be creative, contemporary, sustainable, innovative, interdisciplinary and international.
In addition: Estonian Academy of Arts (EKA) and Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) have established cooperation within doctoral education through Cotutelle agreement. The partners have good experience of joint supervision through the PRS system (Practice Research Seminars). The candidates enrol in both schools and will qualify for a PhD degree at both institutions. The normal duration of the program is 4 years.
As a PhD student
- You will create and develop new professional knowledge;
- You will learn and practice new skills, knowledge and competencies;
- You will meet and collaborate with international and creative professionals.
Admission period for international PhD applicants for 2024/2025 starts on 1st of February 2024. Deadline for submitting application is March 31st 2024.
– application for admission to doctoral studies filled via DreamApply platform
– certificate of English language skills
– portfolio or defended Master’s Thesis
– motivational letter
– proposal of the doctoral thesis
– academic CV of the prospective supervisor (s). The presence of a supervisor is not a prerequisite for applying. The supervisor must have given his or her consent to submit his/her CV.
The Estonian Academy of Arts (EKA), founded in 1914, is the only public university in Estonia offering higher education in architecture, design, fine arts and art culture. It is an active study and research institution and the leading national center of innovation in visual culture. EKA is listed among Top 200 Architecture and Design Universities in the World by QS World University Rankings.
Twelve hundred students currently enrolled at EKA are taught by nearly three hundred professors, associate professors, lecturers and workshop managers from Estonia and abroad. Small groups of carefully selected students enable a more personal, one-on-one approach to instruction and family-like, close-knit atmosphere, and EKA prides itself on the low student-to-faculty ratio. Studies take place in a new award-winning building with an innovative and inspiring environment.
EKA offers twelve international programmes, including a 2-year Urban Studies MSc and a 4-year Architecture and Urban Planning PhD.
A scholarship is available, click "Register" to find out more.